‘Tis the Season of Giving Back
As 2018 is quickly coming to an end, it is a great time to reflect on all that we have accomplished. Schmidt Associates has had the pleasure of working with our clients on many impactful projects, but we are about more than just our work. This coming week, in particular, reminds us all how grateful we are to work at a firm that values giving back to our community.
Wayne Schmidt, our founder, has been cultivating a spirit of Servant Leadership since he began the firm 1976. With Sarah Hempstead now leading the charge as our CEO, that has remained our same core value. We are encouraged to be involved in organizations outside the office – our staff has dedicated more than 14,000 volunteer hours to our local communities over the past 10 years.
Here are some highlights from this past year:
- We hosted our annual Chili Cook-Off at the beginning of the year to raise money for the IU Student Outreach Clinic.
- During the Indiana State Fair, the firm participated in the CANstruction event. This year, our crew raised enough money to donate 4,910 canned food items, resulting in 2,576 meals, to Gleaners Food Bank to help combat hunger.
- During Indy Do Day, the firm had a number of staff participate in landscaping projects for the MSD of Lawrence Township Schools.
- While working with Christamore House on the upkeep of their building systems, we had a staff volunteer day to repair plant beds, paint, and do a general clean-up.
- As a corporate partner for Children’s Bureau, we attended various volunteer events like reading to the kids at lunchtime, helping paint aprons for their Celebrity Cook-Off event, and handing out candy during trick-or-treat at the shelter.
- Junior Achievement’s JobSpark event was a fun-filled day in which several staff members helped educate 8th grade students about careers in architecture and engineering.
- Each year, our firm awards a Ball State University CAP student with a scholarship to help them continue their education within this industry. Richard Meagher was this year’s recipient – he is hoping to further his education and obtain a masters degree in landscape architecture.
- To help inspire young girls and educate them on the future of S.T.E.M, we hosted a booth at the Girl Scouts’ Circle the City event. Engineering staff members helped build an HVAC simulation racing game, and some of our architecture crew came equipped with VR headsets.
- After our annual Thanksgiving staff pitch-in, all leftover food was taken to Wheeler Mission to give those in need a warm, tasty meal.
- Six kids and their families from Children’s Bureau will have a special holiday season thanks to our staff donations of toys, clothes, and other goodies.
There is definitely more that our staff has individually participated in, so the list could go on and on. This is just a small glimpse of how Schmidt Associates truly puts the needs of our clients, staff, and community at the forefront!