We want to introduce you all to our new CEO, Sarah Hempstead
- Raised in Springfield, OH
- Attended Ball State University: dual degrees in Environmental Design and Architecture
- Studied abroad in Russia at Volgograd State University: architecture and engineering
- Currently resides in Meridian Kessler with husband Greg. She enjoys hanging out on the soccer field with her two amazing daughters, traveling as much as possible and working with some of her favorite not-for-profits – including Junior Achievement, RADC, and The Arts Council.
Sarah is only the second CEO in our 40-year history. Firm founder Wayne Schmidt steps down as CEO, but he will remain chairman of the board and the principal-in-charge of our Community Studio.
Sarah joined Schmidt Associates in 2001, inspired by the company’s commitment to service and design excellence. She is now responsible for our Higher Education Studio and overall management of the firm. She is one of a few female CEOs of an architectural and engineering firm in Indiana.
She is recognized for her design and creative work on these projects and more:
- Marian University Michael A. Evans School Center for Health Sciences
- Ivy Tech Community College Illinois Fall Creek Center Addition and Renovation
- Hoosier Energy Rural Electric Cooperative Headquarters
- IUPUI Rotary Building Renovation
- Regenstrief Institute Headquarters – Indianapolis
- Indiana State University Scott College of Business Adaptive Reuse
As the firm moves into its next chapter, Sarah said the Schmidt Associates’ “core DNA remains the same. We remain laser focused on excellence and service to our clients, our community and to each other.”
This ‘core DNA’ reflects our unique culture of servant leadership, Wayne Schmidt remembered. “The first 40 years have been incredible and that suggests the next 40 are going to be even better. The firm is well positioned for the future with the partnerships and the leadership of Sarah as CEO. We are extraordinarily lucky. I am confident she will take the firm places that I could never imagine.”
“We have better foresight, better insight and we are better on-site,” Sarah said. “These important attributes have led us, and more importantly our clients, to designs that consistently surprise and delight, to technology solutions that deliver true efficiencies, and to environments where people are better able to pursue their goals and fulfill their potential.”
“All this has happened in our first four decades. I can’t wait to see where the next forty years will take us.” – Sarah