At A Glance:
Location: St. John, IN
Size: 836,130 sq. ft.
Services: Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Energy
Lake Central School Corporation was looking to operate more efficiently. We were hired to perform site inspections, identify issues, and resolve them in each of the following 5 categories: occupant comfort, energy efficiency, extended equipment life, reliability, and operational efficiency.
Through frequent monitoring of the control system and trending data at the high school, we found the following issues:
- The local VRF controllers were not providing tight control of the units. The units were put under the control of the building control system which tightened run times and insured proper mode (heating/cooling).
- New temperature controls were added to 3 existing air handling units (AHUs) and put under tight scheduling control. Also, demand-controlled ventilation (DCV) was added reducing the amount of fresh air needed.
- Locker room AHU schedules were changed from 5:30am-11pm to 3pm-9pm, reducing run time significantly.
- Dehumidification was not occurring in the dedicated outside air system (DOAS) units, even though the sensor exists. Controls program needed to fix this issue.
- Modifications to the sequencing of the chillers that serve the freshman wing improved efficiency and wear and tear on equipment.
The Energy Star score at the high school went from 67 to 82 soon after optimization services were performed, and it is now an ENERGY STAR® Certified Building and will reap the savings for years to come.
Across the four buildings we provided optimization services on, the school corporation saw a savings of $186,000, which is an 8 month ROI.
Like what we did? Let’s Talk!